Thursday, May 28, 2009
Spring is here and it is the time when the wedding season begins. Weddings are designed to what the bride and groom envision for that special day. Many dog owners feel as if their dogs are part of the family.
One wedding planner had dogs in about 60% of the weddings she had planned. With the right amount of planning, you can make the day special by including your pet in the nuptials.
There are a few things one should keep in mind if you're going to use your pet in your big day:
1. You want your dog to be comfortable in a social setting. Some dogs are very outgoing but others are really shy or possessive of their owners. It's important to have your dog acclimated to being around a group of people before the big day.
2. Designate a person you trust to help take care of the dog. It's your day and the last thing on your mind should be what's happening with your dog. There are actually people who can be hired for this purpose if you don't have anyone close to you who feels comfortable with this duty.
3. Know what role your dog is going to play in the ceremony. Some weddings may have the dog just for pictures and others will have the dog as a bridesmaid or groomsman.
4. Make sure you get married in a place where they allow pets. Many places are afraid of dogs leaving behind "gifts" and will not allow it even if it is your special day. A great way not to worry about this is to have an outdoor wedding.
5. Make sure you the dog is walked before the ceremony. Dogs love people and all the activity will make them really excited.
6. If you have friends or family that have serious allergies, you have to find a way to work your dog's involvement around that fact. There is nothing worse than that having an allergy attack when it didn't have to happen. Let them know ahead of time that your dog will be involved and that they are not going to be affected by your dog's inclusion in the wedding.
I have yet to be married. Having my dogs in my wedding would be my first choice but everything in a relationship is a compromise so who knows if that will happen when that day comes for me. So I present the question to you guys. Have any of you had your dog as part of your wedding? Please leave a comment and let me know. Have a great night.