Monday, May 4, 2009

Quite a Scare

Tonight, after I got home, it was time to take the dogs for a walk. The walk was going great. Near the end of it, I noticed Gigi was rubbing herself in the grass. At first, I thought it was due to the fact I had them running for a bit and she was hot. However, it turned out not to be the case. She had rubbed up against some burrs. They were caught in her chin and on her paws. I did not notice this until my mom saw her chewing them.

After I pulled off what I could, I noticed that she had a look of discomfort and was constantly licking her facial area. I called the emergency vet and told them what happened. The technician told me to give her bread. Whole wheat bread didn't go over very well. Gigi wanted no part of it. I then called them back, and they told me to try giving bread to her with peanut butter. This time, Gigi loved the peanut butter but would have no part of the bread it was connected to. I then called the vet and they said for safety I should bring her in.

The vet was able to find a burr on her paw and upon looking at it, he said that it wasn't too bad and once he gives Gigi some food, the burrs should be pushed far enough where it won't be a factor. She did have some irritation in her throat and I was told to expect that to last until the morning. After the vet looked down her throat, I felt that was stressful enough for Gigi, so I had turned down the anti-inflammatory shot.

I am writing this so that if any of you are in a similar situation, you'll know what to do. I learned a huge lesson tonight. Sometimes the littlest things really do make the difference. Thanks for checking in and as always, I look forward to your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Dog Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory