What are sulfates?Whenever a person uses a cleaning product, chances are they contain sulfates. What do they do? Sulfates are surfactants which break up the surface of water to help things become more wet. Water is held together by molecules. So much so, that these molecules create water tension. Only when there's an overabundance of water, does the tension break or if something disrupts the molecular tension.
Sulfates are the main ingredient in a shampoo or cleaning product that makes the product lather up. It's this lather that sells many products. It's also this same lather that dries out the skin and hair. Sulfates are an inorganic salt of sulphuric acid. They are highly soluble in water. Because they increase acidity, there's the tendency to dry out the skin.
With their fur, dogs have a different ph than humans. It's not advisable to use shampoo made for humans on them. Luckily, some savvy shampoo companies have found a way to make effective cleaning shampoos without the harshness of sulfates. The one caveat is that they may take a little longer to rinse than regular shampoos.
Here are a few shampoos to consider for your pet. Some out there are so gentle, they can be used on humans as well.
Sulfate Free Shampoos
- Earthbath Earthbath in stores like Petco and many places online. You can usually find it for about $12.00 to $15.00USD.
- TropicleanTropiclean carries a variety of soap-free and detergent-free shampoos. Their bottles are made from recycled and renewable materials. Everything about their products, from the bottles to the five trademarked shampoos is manufactured in the United States. Like Eartbath, this is safe to use after flea medication is applied (after 48 hours). The company guarantees every product and is environmentally focused. They can be found at stores like Petco as well as places online. You can find them priced at $12.00USD. Many times you can find if for under $10.00.
- Olive Green Dogwebsite for $16.00USD.
- Dermagicwebsite. A pint of this retails for $17.95USD.
- Dr. Harvey'sDr. Harvey website.
- Shea Pet. They retail for about $19.00USD for an 18 ounce bottle.