Monday, January 18, 2010

Woof Hoofs Product Review

Woof Hoofs
Woof Hoofs are a unique dog boot. These boots were made for hiking as well as for snow. I had a very good experience with ordering these since the company representative was very helpful in helping me figure out what size to order for my dogs.

I bought size S for Cookie and size XS for Gigi (though it's hard to see them on her since I ordered black). When I received them, I liked that they came in a mesh bag which is good for storing them to dry.

What makes them different is the fact that they are made with neoprene, which is the same material you find in wet suits. The area of the boot under the paw had a reinforced area with little dots so the dogs wouldn't slip on the pavement.

At first glance, I noticed how they were constructed. They were sewn securely and had two strips of velcro to fasten the boot around the dog's leg. The material had enough stretch but not too much to become stretched out. Because it is on the stiff side, it helps to bend the material where the crease is so the boot will be more flexible with the dog's paw movements.

The best way to put them on was to slide them over the paw. With my dog's type of fur, the longer they go without haircuts, the bulkier the hair is around the legs. Still, since I measured the width of the paw pad and rounded up, the boots wound up fitting fine.

Out and About


Dogs in Woof HoofsTaking the dogs out in the snow, I realized how important it was to securely tighten the boots. While the dogs weren't thrilled with having the boots on because they weren't used to them, once I got them moving I noticed that Cookie was more confident in her stride. Instead of trotting, she was running full steam ahead. The boots stayed on pretty well in the snow. When they are walking in deeper snow, you have to watch to make sure they don't slip off. After walking through all of that snow, one of the boots did fall off.

By the fourth time, of taking the girls out, I had put the boots on tight enough so they wouldn't fall off. The most important thing was not to put them on too tight to cut the circulation off. It was nice to see that their feet didn't have little snowballs underneath after removing them once we were inside.

Summing It All Up


All in all, this is a well-made product that will stay on your dog's paws. You may need to keep an eye on the dogs to make sure the boots don't slip off in deeper snow but once you and the dogs get used to it, they work really well. They kept the snow off and kept their feet warm. At a price of $24.99 USD the quality of the boots are worth the price.

Pros
strong, durable, well-constructed, great customer service

Cons
Can slip off in deeper snow

Woof Hoofs Website
Related Posts
Bootified
Walking Your Dog in Winter

2 comments:

  1. I need some boots for my dogs to protect their feet from the ice and snow we have here in the mountains.. and even more importantly, to protect their feet from the dangerous de-icing chemicals they put on the roads when we get nasty weather. With two dogs, though, price is an issue. These sound like a good boot at a totally affordable price! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand that. What I like about these is that they are good for hiking and snow. It's just a matter of your dogs getting used to them. You can find these either through the website or at Amazon.com. Thanks for writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Dog Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory