Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Superbowl Funday



This year's superbowl was the largest event ever watched on television yielding 111 million viewers in this country alone. Part of my plan for the day was to take the dogs to the dog park. I found this dog park that was a half an hour away and took all three dogs there. I had done this as part of Subaru's Dog Walk Event.

A New Adventure

Going to the park, I was in for a treat. There were two fenced in areas for dogs. One area was for smaller dogs and the other was for larger dogs.

We first went to the smaller dog area and the dogs were having a great time. They were on their

own and could roam around at their leisure. At the large park next door, there were about 5 or 6 Siberian Huskies. Since Cookie and Homer could be better socialized, I took them from the smaller dog area to the larger area 10 minutes later.
Homer Investigating The Park
Gigi was thrilled to meet new friends. Homer was excited to have a new territory to sniff. Cookie however, wasn't coming in any time soon. I gave her time to come in on her own, but when one of the other dogs darted out, I realized that I would have to pick up Cookie and carry her in. Cookie didn't seem to mind and stayed by my side the entire time.

Big Vs. Little

Since Homer is very unpredictable in how he reacts with other dogs, I watched him very closely. Siberian Huskies are extremely playful dogs and they can be a little bit on the rough side. In Homer's case, this is ideal because he tends to be that way when he plays with Gigi and Cookie.

He was good for about 20 minutes and then he fear kicked in and he tried to start a fight with an older husky. I immediately told him that we are going home and put on his leash. As we were leaving there was a little Scottish Terrier mix coming in.

I held Homer back since he was in his mode. Sure enough Homer was barking to let that terrier know who was boss. I then let Gigi approach to say hello. Gigi is one of those dogs who loves everyone, so I knew there wouldn't be any issues with her. It turned out there wasn't.

Heading Home


Believe it or not, the hardest part of my dog park visit was getting the dogs ready to go back home. Once we got to the car, I noticed that both Cookie and Gigi had a bunch of snow caught in their fur. Since their hair is curly and long, it took me a while to get everything out.

Once we got home, the difference in the dogs was well worth it. Homer was much calmer and the girls seemed to be enjoying their quiet time as well.

Let's Discuss!


Do you take your dogs to the dog park in the winter time? How did your dog's partake in the Superbowl festivities?

Related Posts

Superbowl Fun For Dog Owners
Baby It's Cold Outside
A Day At The Dog Park
Winter Safety Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Dog Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory