Friday, June 12, 2009

Cloning Dogs


Last year, we learned about the very first dog who was cloned. It cost over $150,000 US dollars to do this and the owner wound up shipping the cells to South Korea in order for the process to happen.

Cloning seems so unnecessary to me. I've had some great dogs in my life. Some of them died sooner than expected, but I could never imagine for myself having a clone. Having a clone of your former dog still doesn't change the fact that the dog that existed has been either buried or cremated.

Vampire movies have been made and are very popular. Vampires are immortal, they can never die. They are limited by what they can do in the world, but above all else, they are fictional characters. Why do I bring them up then? The idea of the vampire most likely arose from wondering what would happen if humans coudn't die. Even though vampires are immortal, they still miss out on certain things that human beings always took for granted.

I've had some dogs that have been my best friend. At times, I feel as though Cookie and Gigi know exactly what I'm thinking, but usually it's the opposite. I couldn't imagine bringing another version of them back. They are complete originals. To me, a clone wouldn't preserve their memory, but rather dilute how truly unique these dogs have been.

Also, there are too many dogs who are suffering out there without a home. All a person has to do is walk into their local shelter or pet store. There are plenty of dogs that are sitting in a cage, wondering what they are doing there and when are they going to get out. They have people taking care of them, but at the end of the day, they still go to sleep in their own little box. Dogs love the companionship of humans and other dogs; keeping them alone is one of the hardest things for them to go through, but alas is a necessity because fights are all too commonplace in small areas such as shelters.

If any of you have certain thoughts or opinions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is an old post, but since it's thought provoking I tho't I'd offer my .02 worth: I once read that while cloning may produce an exact physical replica of a dog, the cloned dog's personality might still be very different from the original. I agree completely: Just adopt a new dog when the old one goes to doggie heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? I agree but hopefully that lady is enjoying her cloned dog. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog

Dog Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory