Wednesday, October 2, 2013

An Advertising Campaign That Turns A New Leaf

I used to work in a shopping mall about four years ago. Many times, I would pass by Abercrombie and Fitch and see a half-naked teenager standing in the doorway. It was obvious that they were using the tried and true idea of "Sex Sells". They are not alone. Companies like Calvin Klein, Victoria's Secret and some perfume houses have used this idea successfully as well.

In the past, the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch has admitted that his clothes are geared towards the "cool kids", which helps them to maintain their exclusivity. It has a narrow but loyal audience that it markets. As much as I don't like that they are very selective, it's their right as a business.

Clothes For Teenagers

Imagine my surprise when I saw the above poster when walking through that mall a few weeks ago, when I went mall walking with my mom. They decided to use dogs and men. I think this is a fresh idea and showcases Abercrombie and Fitch in a better light. The addition of dogs with models gives the retailer a more down-to-earth look and feel.

I don't have kids in high school but if I did, I don't know if I would have them shop there. I can't imagine why a kid would want to buy brand new jeans that are already ripped. It's a fine line between having your kids dress appropriately and having them wear stuff that they love. Hopefully parents and kids can find the middle ground.

Photo: Abercrombie and Fitch

As a dog lover, I was thrilled by this campaign. It showcases the products and the love people have for dogs. Anything that embraces the wonderfulness of dogs is ok with me. It's obvious that Abercrombie and Fitch has taken a new direction in their advertising and I for one hope this dog-friendly angle continues.

Let's Discuss!

What are your thoughts about the new Abercrombie and Fitch ads?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Dog Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory