Thursday, November 7, 2013

Adopt A Senior Pet Month (Infographic)

November is Adopt A Senior Pet Month. Where October promotes adopting all pets, November is all increasing awareness of the wonders of senior pets. In my household, three of our dogs are senior dogs. All of them have just as much pep and vigor compared to their younger counterparts.

Every year, thousands of senior dogs are dropped off in a shelter. Some are given up because their family can't keep them anymore. Others are given up because their owners don't want them anymore, since they are older. It's not fair to the dog when this happens, but compared to other dogs, they are the last to be adopted. They are also the ones who are most euthanized.

Older Pet Benefits

Some of the benefits of adopting senior pets include:

  • They are already housebroken. It doesn't take a long time for them to get acclimated to new surroundings.
  • They are great for those owners who love a laid-back life. A simple walk will be all the exercise they need in a day.
  • You know what you're getting. They tend to be more docile. Also, when they are adopted from a shelter, they are equally grateful.
  • It isn't as long of a time investment compared to raising a dog who is a puppy.

Below is an infographic for Senior Pets by Blogpaws

22 comments:

  1. They'd be better for me because I don't like all that jumping and chewing and peeing and pooping everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. They can be quite a lot of work.

      Delete
  2. Our kitty is a senior kitty and he is so mellow and loving, they would be great to have,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cat who's 16 years old and she's the sweetest and most gentle. Senior pets are awesome!

      Delete
  3. We adopted a senior dog from the pound and he came housebroken and knew how to do tricks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what senior dogs have hidden underneath. When I adopted Cookie, she already knew Give me five and high five. They are full of surprises.

      Delete
  4. I love this! Both of my dogs are getting older and they are wonderful pets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adopted two cats. I wish I could adopt more, but two are all I ca handle right now. lol. Great post, though. I hope others take note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cats are great. They are so entertaining to watch.

      Delete
  6. We used to have an older pet (rescued) and it was definitely SO much easier to adopt him than a puppy. He was already trained and housebroken. Loved it! However, it was sad that he only had a couple years left with our family because he was old. I miss him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so wonderful that you guys rescued a senior dog. It's a short but very sweet and rewarding time. You rock!

      Delete
  7. I really LOVE that there is an actual month for raising awareness for this. We're huge pet lovers and this just warms my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad about it too. It just amazes me how many people think senior pets aren't worth the time in their golden years.

      Delete
  8. I have been begging the hubs to let us get ONE more dog. I really want to rescue a little old man dog. I feel so bad for them all. Glad to see that there's a month dedicated to this important cause. And thank YOU for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure. It's funny how we love to have one more. It's great that you want to add a senior dog to the family.

      Delete
  9. This is so great. We couldn't get another pet right now, but I would totally consider taking on an older pet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We adopted our dog when she was older, but not quite a senior, hah. The puppy stage is definitely over rated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea there was a whole 'month' for this! :)
    We have a houseful of animals... some senior, some not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We adopted a 7 y old Weimeraner last year. Is that a senior? She was our sons and he could not keep her anymore. She has a mild health problem that requires daily meds, but we are Ok with that. She brings us a lot of joy! She keeps my husband company while I am at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, 7 year-olds are seniors. It's so beautiful that you took in a special needs dog. She's a very fortunate pooch to have you and your husband taking care of her.

      Delete

BlogCatalog

Dog Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory