Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Vitamin E And Dogs

Dog Scratching
Itchy Dog


I've never been big on vitamins. Then one day, my doctor told me it might help relieve my skin's irritation. When Cookie was first diagnosed with Epilepsy, I was first panicked and then relieved to find out it wasn't severe. Luckily, the vet told us that since she had petite mal seizures, vitamin E would be all that she would need as a preventative. Her recommended dosage 200 was I.U.

The Case of the Itchy Dog

Vitamin EThen one day, Mom noticed Gigi was scratching more than she should be. I thought that it could be from dry skin. I suggested to my mom that we give Gigi vitamin E and see what happens. Usually, dogs hate any kind of pill and you have to find a creative way to give it to them. Cookie is this way but Not Gigi. She loved her vitamin and didn't mind them at all. For some strange reason, As it tur Ened out, it tended to decrease her itching a whole lot.

Vet Check

Wanting to be on the safe side, I checked with my vet. I found out that giving vitamin E is ok as long as I don't do it more than once a day. Some people use the capsule topically by breaking it open and applying directly on the affected area.

Other Uses for Vitamin E

  • Aging Animals

  • Dogs with Dermatitis

  • Dogs that have cataracts

  • Acanthosis Nigricans in Dachshunds (this is dark thick skin in the groin and armpits in this breed)

Let's Discuss

Do any of you use vitamin E? If so, for what purpose?

Related Posts
Down the Hatch
A Short Post About Epilepsy
Picture Resources
Flickr
Morgue File

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Dog Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory